Sunday, March 14, 2010

Up in the air

Recently I was on a plane and the woman in front of me was watching "Up in the Air" which I have already seen and quite enjoyed. It reminded me that it has one of my favourite scenes from a movie, ever. Right after Anna Kendrick's (Natalie) character get dumped via text message, she has a breakdown and a speech that sums up how I felt for most of my 20s:
Alex (Vera Farmiga): What a weasley prick
Natalie: What does that make me, someone who falls for a weasley prick? When I was 16 I thought I'd be married by 23, maybe have a kid. Corner office by day, entertaining at night. I was supposed to be driving a Grand Cherokee by now.
Alex: Life can underwhelm you that way.
Natalie: I don't want to say anything anti-feminist, I really appreciated everything your generation did for me.
Alex: It was our pleasure.
Ryan (George Clooney): Well done.
Natalie: It just feels like success won't matter til I find the right guy.
Alex: You really thought he was the one?
Natalie: We could have made it work ... he really fit the bill. White collar, college grad, loves dogs, likes funny movies, 6'1, brown hair, kind eyes, works in finance but is outdoorsy, you know, on weekend. I always imagined he'd have a single syllabled name like Matt or John or Dave. In a perfect world he drives a four runner and the only thing he loves more than me is his golden lab. And a nice smile. What about you?
Alex: That he's not an asshole. He comes from a good family, wants kids, is healthy enough to play with his kids. He can't earn more money than me and it would be nice if he has hair, although that's not a deal breaker anymore. And a nice smile. Even that could be enough.
Natalie: Whoa, that's depressing ... you should just date women.
Alex: Tried that - trust me, we're no picnic.

It's an abridged version, but when I saw it in the theatre, I almost fell out of my chair laughing. I definitely did not plan on having a corner office or kids by age 23, but the part about the boy with the single syllable name, the dog and the SUV - all true.

Having already seen the movie, I watched another quality film - Twilight: New Moon. Full of crap dialogue of course, but I felt the need to watch it in order to understand the cultural zeitgeist. I guess it falls under the "guilty pleasures" portion of this blog. And PS, I'm totally Team Jacob, even though the cutoffs the wolf pack wear are awful and Taylor Lautner is way too young, not to mention too short.

No comments:

Post a Comment