Monday, March 1, 2010

My mom still has hope

My mother called my on Wednesday night to tell me that should I ever be competing at the Olympics and she should die, I should continue on, a la Joannie Rochette. Without a word of a lie, she said "put me on ice, I'll keep." Thanks mom, happy to know that you still have hope that one day I could be an Olympian. But I'm fairly certain the jig is up ... as a 33 year old occasional runner/skier/hiker/snowshoer/group power goer, I'm fairly certain I won't make it. Although there were +40 types competing at the 2010 games - am thinking here mostly of curlers (as previously discussed, my fave sport), but apparently there is a 43 year old ski crosser ... as DG put it, she apparently has no name or country as the announcers regularly refer to her as "the 43 year old."

So the Olympics have come to a close and there are many more best of moments that I don't remember right now, mainly because I'm too depressed that the 17 days of competition are over. But here are a few good ones, along with some bad ones too, because let's admit it, the closing ceremony was pretty bad:
1) Hockey gold for Canada ... both men's and women's. To be honest, the men winning was more of a relief than anything else. Had they lost, it would have put a damper on all the other celebrations. But thank god for Iggy and Sid.
2) The post-game celebration of the women's hockey team. Smoking cigars, drinking beer and champagne, and driving a zamboni? Awesome.
3) Marianne St. Gelais watching her boyfriend Charles Hamelin win gold in the 500 metre short track competition ... I'm pretty sure she exerted as much energy as he did. So great.
4) Bob Costas deadpanning: "here come the always-popular giant inflatable beavers," at the closing ceremony.
5) Once again, watching the closing ceremony while BB messaging with peeps in far flung places. Too bad the ceremony itself was god-awful. Nickelback, really? Avril, come on. What happened to The Hip, Arcade Fire, Feist, Knaan, etc, etc. Also, how bad was that "Let's have a party" song. How about, let's write a better song?
6) Being interviewed by Shaw TV about women kicking ass at the Olympics this year. It's supposed to air today and apparently I made some comment about being sad that I was past my prime ... it's true though. Were I 15 years younger, I could potentially have become a mogul skier or something. Probably not, but maybe!
7) Other people joining me in my love for John Morris. The third for the Canadian men's curling squad is hot. Plus he's a volunteer firefighter. Yum. Oh and he played really well.

On that note, I will end this entry. More Olympic thoughts to come I'm sure.

Fave moment 3 can be found here:

No comments:

Post a Comment