Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Jake's a dud

Having discussed my love of guilty pleasures music, I should probably mention my love of guilty pleasures TV as well. For the most part, the shows that fall into this category are reality-based. I am happy to say that I am not into the most ridiculous ones (i.e. anything with that guy from Poison or Tila Tequila), but I do enjoy an hour or two of so-bad-it's good tv.

On some occasions I enjoy the shows with friends - in particular, the Bachelor/Bachelorette. For the past little while I have been getting together with a few girlfriends to watch (and make snide comments) about what is inevitabely the most dramatic rose ceremony ever ... the problem with this season is that Jake (pictured above) is a total dud. Seriously, the guy has no sex appeal, is not the least bit charming, and is way too short. On last night's episode, he went on "hometown dates." The following is a rough summary of the running commentary from the show:
  1. Why is Jake wearing a weird beaded Jamaican necklace after his date with Gia?

  2. When parents ask him how he feels about family, why are they so assured when he says it's the most important thing in his life ... what is he going to say, "no I hate family and avoid spending time with my parents at all cost." Or similarily, what do they expect him to say when they make him promise never to hurt their daughter ... as if I he is really going to say, "actually sir, I plan on having sex with her in the fantasy suite and dumping her in the most public way possible so that she is humiliated and can never have a normal dating life." I mean really ...

  3. The incredible embarrassment we all felt while watching Tenley dance ... Sarah had to look away. It was just mortifying - had I been by myself, I would have turned it off.

  4. The ridiculousness of Vienna’s dad saying that when Jake comes home the house will be clean and the kids will be raised right

  5. The line of the night goes to Renee who commented "why do I think we are in a trailer" when Jake was visiting Vienna's family

  6. Vienna’s ridiculous purple dress at the rose ceremony

  7. The unfortunate glimpse up Ali’s dress while she was crying and the fact that she looked very dishevelled for someone who was so obviously faking it ... did they really have to liven up the show by bringing up last season's plot point? Ali is no Ed, and it's all just a little too familiar. And unnecessary. And finally, I'm pretty sure she was crying because her feet hurt - not because she worked for Facebook and forgot to tell them that she needed a few months off.

Even though I am not a fan of Jake, I am a fan of the weekly viewings with my friends (the food and wine is always great). As such, we continue the Bachelor ritual ... someone's gotta do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment