Thursday, February 4, 2010

I'm just not that into you ...

I’ve been online dating for +6 months now, and it is very out of character for me. I live my life in a rather laid back way, so this proactive dating thing makes me slightly uncomfortable. It hasn’t helped that for the most part it has been a fantastic failure. Apparently living in one of Canada’s largest cities is not big enough for me, as I have been matched up with:

a) a guy I have already “dated”;
b) a guy I know who I would never “date”; and,
c) a guy that one of my best friends has “dated*”.

All in all I have been on 9 first dates, 2 second dates, and am currently weighing the pros and cons of a possible third date. This of course would be entering into unchartered territory and a very big step. Because for the most part, the guys have been duds. As part of our performance management plan at work, we have to do a self evaluation … the ranking is as follows:

9 - Employee consistently exceeds all expectations
8 - Employee consistently exceeds most expectations
7 - Employee consistently exceeds some expectations
6 - Employee meets and occasionally exceeds some expectations
5 - Employee meets expectations
4 - Employee normally meets expectations
3 - Employee does not meet some expectations
2 - Employee does not meet most expectations
1 - Employee does not meet any expectations

Needless to say, the guys I have met online would rate no more than a 2. And I’m not exaggerating.

In between all of this interweb romance, I have had a few inspired flirtations. Sadly, none of them have panned out and last week while watching “He’s just not that into you” I realized that one of the guys for which I had high hopes was definitely not into me … he gave me his card, I sent him a flirty/witty note, and then he stonewalled me. This scene would have been helpful (the advice starts at 2:09):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zL-xjLEGag

* if you haven’t figured it out yet, “dated” is something of euphemism.

No comments:

Post a Comment