Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I'm with Coco



As an avid pop culture aficionado, I have been very intrigued by the recent "late night wars" (quotes not my own ... that's the official title apparently). It's like the fourth wall has come down and all bets are off. Despite all the hilarity, my favourite part was probably Conan's last show where he gave a dignified sign off and urged us all not to become cynical. It really was a great moment on TV and here is the last part of his speech (courtesy of EW.com):

"To all the people watching, I can never thank you enough for your kindness to me and I’ll think about it for the rest of my life. All I ask of you is one thing: please don’t be cynical. I hate cynicism — it’s my least favorite quality and it doesn’t lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you’re kind, amazing things will happen. As proof, let’s make an amazing thing happen right now."

While I would never say I am a cynic, I would say that I am slightly jaded - a comment like this makes me rethink my attitude, if only for a few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment